HSA ENGLISH - SOLVED PAPER – 2004
Section - A
Q.1-30 Answerall the questions. Each question carries one mark.
1. The first revenge tragedy in English is _____
2. ____ is called the Father of English Essay .
3. Gray, Collins and Cowper are called ____ poets.
4. The only literary epic in English literature is ____
5. The writer of 'Holy Sonnets' is ____
6. Where do we read: 'The paths of glory lead but to the grave ?
7. Who first used the word 'Metaphysics' in association with Donne's poetry ?
8. Shakespeare wrote ____ sonnets.
9. ____ reproduced 'King Lear' with a comic ending.
10. ____ is the longest of Shakespeare's plays.
11. 'L yrical Ballads' was published in the year ____
12. The autobiographical poem written by Wordsworth is ____
13. ____ defined poetry as 'the best words in the best order.'
14. Who said of Shelley: 'He is beautiful and ineffectual an angel beating in the void his luminous wings in vain?'
15. T ennyson's 'The Lotus Eaters' and '____ ' are companion poems.
16.____ is often described as chronologically Victorian and qualitatively a modern poet.
17. The subtitle of 'Andrea Del Sarto' is ____
18. Lamb's sister appears with the name ____ in his essays.
19. ____ is a poetic form perfected by Browning.
20. "As flies to wanton boys are we to gods. They kill us for their sport." Whose words are these ?
21. Who used the Heroic Couplet in English first ?
22. W ordsworth, Coleridge and Southey are known as the ____ poets.
23. Sprung Rhythm is associated with the poet ____
24. ____ is the main source of Shakespeare's English History plays.
25. Dryden's 'All for Love' is base on Shakespeare's ____
26. ____ is an unfinished poem by Marlowe.
27. 'The Merchant of V enice' by Shakespeare is modelled upon Marlowe's ____
28. Whom does Wordsworth addressed towards the end of the poem 'Tintern Abbey'?
29. Mephistophiles is a character in ____ by Marlowe.
30. ____ is called the Father of English Novel.
(30 × 1 = 30 marks)
SECTION - B
(Answer all the questions Each question carries 5 marks. Maximum length of each essay should be two pages).
1. Discuss the essential features of Lamb's prose style.
2. Attempt a critical analysis of Keat's 'Ode to a Nightingale'.
3. 'The poem 'T intern Abbey' reveals Wordsworth's change from young passion for Nature to a haunting comprehension of the lovely universe'. Justify the statement.
4. Briefly examine the chief features of the epic form.
5. What are the advantages of studies as enunciated by Bacon in his essay 'Of Studies'?
6. Trace the evolution of thought in Shelley's 'T o a Skylark'.
7. Comment on the theme of Marlowe's 'Doctor Faustus'.
8. Attempt a critical appreciation of John Donne's 'Batter my Heart'.
9. Evaluate Shakespeare's 'My Mistress! Eyes' as a Sonnet.
(9 × 5 = 45 marks)
PAR T II
(Question 1 to 10. Each question is provided with four alternative responses. Select the correct
one from among the lettered choices a, b, c and d. All questions 1 to 10 carry 1 mark each.)
1. In a modern class the learning of skills normally takes place.
(a) When the pupil asks for them
(b) According to a set programme
(c) When the skills are needed
(d) According to the parent's wishes.
2. Generally the list effective teaching technique is:
(a) Problem solving
(b) Class recitation
(c) Role playing
(d) Panel discussion
3. The lecture method would be most appropriate when used to:
(a) Develop interest and supplement the text
(b) T each factual subjects
(c) T each controversial topics
(d) Ensure complete coverage of material
4. The buzz group is best used when:
(a) A controversial issue needs clarification
(b) Quick solutions to school problems are needed
(c) The class has not prepared the lesson which was previously assigned as home work.
(d) Participation of members is unimportant
5. In planning a unit or a lesson, the teacher should be concerned principally with the:
(a) Prescribed text book
(b) Skills he possesses
(c) Curriculum guide
(d) Interests of the class
6. In the question-answer technique, it is advisable to:
(a) Use the words or phrases in the text book
(b) Call on the pupil before asking the question
(c) Ask pupils to formulate their own questions
(d) Rely solely on volunteers to answer the questions.
7. The most acceptable of the following statements about the teaching of spelling is:
(a) Only a method for studying words should be taught.
(b) Lists of words for each grade level should be made and their spelling mastered.
(c) Children should be taught to spell only the most difficult and tricky words.
(d) Words occurring in a unit being studied should be mastered as part of the unit.
8. A recall situation is best tested by the
(a) Multiple choice type test
(b) Completion type test
(c) T opical selection type test
(d) True - False type test
9. The modern language teacher:
(a) Emphasises grammar and mechanics of expression.
(b) Emphasises the communication of ideas with grammar as simply a tool.
(c) Discounts the importance of grammar and mechanics.
(d) Rejects functionalism as the primary consideration in her teaching.
10. Research on the relationship between speed of reading and level of comprehension reveals a correlation that is:
(a) Generally negative
(b) Positive and high
(c) Approximately zero
(d) Positive but low
(10 × 1 = 10 marks)
Questions 11 to 13, Answerall the questions. Each question carries 5 marks
11. What do you mean by micro-teaching ? What are the skills to be developed through micro teaching ?
12. What are the different techniques used in testing writing with reference to English ?
13. Explain the salient features of the audio-lingual method of English language teaching.
(3 × 5 = 15 marks)
Part - I
1. The Spanish Tragedy
2. Francis Bacon
3. Transitional Poets
5. John Donne
6. Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard
7. John Dryden
9. Nahum T ate
12. The Prelude
14. Mathew Arnold
17. The Faultless Painter
18. Bridget Elia
19. Dramatic Monologue
24. Holinshed's Chronicles
26. Hero and Leander
27. The Jew of
28. His sister, Dorothy Wordsworth
29. Doctor Faustus
Part - II
1.(b), 2. (b), 3.(a), 4.(a), 5.(d), 6.(c), 7.(b), 8.(a), 9.(b), 10.(b)